Maharaja Bir Bikram Kishor Manikya Bahadur, the last illustrious king of Tripura
was the architect and founder of this pioneering institution of higher learning
in the state which was established in the year 1947. Affiliated with the University
of Calcutta, the college, since its inception, has maintained a high standard of
academic excellence establishing itself as one of the prominent members of the
Calcutta University family. The college, which once served as the nucleus of the
states own university as a center of Post-Graduate teaching, is now affiliated with
the Tripura University.
The sprawling college campus is spread over an area of 234 acres with lush green fields
bordered with exotic varieties of trees and winding lakes haunted by migratory birds
in winter. The river Howrah flows along its southeast periphery and distant hill
ranges form a bluish-green backdrop to the scenery. The sylvan landscape weaves
a magic spell upon the visitor on his/her first encounter with the campus. Amidst
these bounties of nature stands the imposing main college building, a fine specimen
of Mughal architectural style designed by late Maharaja himself. On the whole, the
college campus forms a major tourist attraction.
The many faculties with dedicated staff and students, the rich library with its vast
collection of books and journals, the well-equipped laboratories, amenities and
opportunities for co-curricular and extra-curricular activities and above all,
its uninterrupted tradition of over half a century as center of higher learning
have earned this premier college of North-East its present fame.
The motto of the college, culled from the treasure house of the Upanishadas is
Vidayamrtamasnute (Knowledge is the key to immortality). This premier institution
has been perennially striving to keep up to this motto by imparting and disseminating
knowledge to the young minds.